Shimmer at District Dance
Children ages 2-7 will be introduced to ballet, tap, jazz, hip-hop, acrobatics, and creative moment inside our widely popular Shimmer program. Watch as your child’s eye sparkle with excitement and joy! Listen while they giggle with glee!
This program expertly combines your child’s vivid imagination with a nurturing environment where they are free to learn, flourish, and grow more independent. We are currently enrolling for our summer and school year programs. Check out the schedule of classes below and reserve your child's spot today. We can't wait to meet your family!
Class Schedule (ages 2-7)
Classes are OPEN!
Click the button of the class you are interested in or scroll down to see the current schedule.
Classes are filling quickly! We would love to welcome your little dancer to the studio!
Pre-Ballet (ages 2-3)
This imaginative, playful class is perfect for the first time dancer. Not only will the children be introduced to the amazing world of ballet, but they will also learn how to be the perfect student in class. We focus on becoming independent from mom and dad, following directions, learning to wait in line, taking turns, listening, making new friends, and more!
Ballet/Tap (ages 3-4)
Get excited! Tap shoes are introduced to dancers when they are three years old and there's no turning back! Dancers have the exciting opportunity to take a combination class filled with the beautiful movement of ballet and the rhythmic, percussive sounds of tap! The first half of class is spent stompin' and shakin' to upbeat music while we learn how to tap dance. The second half of class is focused on refining our ballet skills and learning how to dance like a graceful ballerina.
Ballet/Tap/Jazz (ages 4-7)
All the fun of ballet and tap and now we are adding jazz! Jazz is a high-energy dance style that teaches students to dance sharp, find a connection with the music, and perform! This combination dance class gives dancers a strong foundation and sets our budding dancers up for a bright future. Lots of smiles, moving, grooving, and fun with friends in this class!
Class Options (ages)
Monday 4:30-5:15pm Ballet/Tap (4-5 yrs)
Monday 6:15-7:15pm Ballet/Tap (5-7 yrs)
Tuesday 4:45-5:30pm Ballet/Tap (4-5 yrs)
Tuesday 5:30-6:30pm Ballet/Tap/Jazz (6-7yrs)
Wednesday 6:15-7:15pm Ballet/Tap (5-7 yrs)
Saturday 9:00-9:45am Ballet/Tap (4-5 yrs)
Saturday 9:45-10:45am Ballet/Tap/Jazz (6-7yrs)
Saturday 12:30-1:30pm Ballet/Tap (5-7 yrs)
Hip-hop & Acrobatics (ages 5-7)
Ready for more? Once our dancers turn 5, they are invited to add hip-hop and acrobatics class to their dance schedule! Hip-hop is an energetic class filled with exciting music and the coolest dance moves. Acrobatics class focuses on strength, flexibility, and beginner tumbling for dancers.
Monday 5:15-6:15 Hip-hop/Acro (5-7 yrs)
Tuesday 6:30-7:30 Hip-hop/Acro (6-7 yrs)
Wednesday 5:15-6:15pm Jazz/Hip-hop (5-7 yrs)
Saturday 9:45-10:45am Jazz/Hip-hop (5-6 yrs)
Saturday 10:45-11:45am Hip-hop/Acro (6-7 yrs)
Shimmer and Shine!
This is such an important time of your child’s life! Their imaginations are growing as fast as their little bodies are! Our Shimmer program focuses on the whole child. Through repetition and exciting themed lessons, your child will benefit from our program in a variety of ways:
- They will grow more independent through our use of positive reinforcement and enriching activities.
- They will develop gross motor skills like balance, strength and coordination through activities like walking on their tippy toes, jumping through a hoop, and skipping in a circle.
- They will learn proper classroom behavior such as listening skills, how to wait in line, and how to follow directions.
- They will learn properties of rhythm and musicality through clapping and stomping to the beat, the use of rhythm sticks, and exploring speed and time changes in different music selections.
Sometimes it can be a little scary for our youngest dancers to leave mom and walk into a dance studio alone. Every child is ready in their own time. This is why we offer a free trial class to our youngest dancers. Join us for a glimpse into our Shimmer program!
Try a Free Class
Click here to schedule a FREE trial class for your budding ballerina!
What Happens in a Typical Class?
- Each class begins by warming up our muscles and stretching in our connection circle with friends.
- We practice our favorite dance moves (and review their fancy French names) like relevé, plié, and jeté.
- During ballet, we travel to magical lands and make-believe we are beautiful flowers, fairies, birds, bees, and butterflies.
- Each class includes circle time where we connect with friends and watch me shine time where we dance one at a time.
- We practice our recital routine that we can’t WAIT to perform for you in June on the BIG stage!
- Each class ends with your child getting a stamp or sticker to reward and celebrate her progress and success!
18012 Mateny Road
Germantown, MD 20874