Shimmer at District Dance
Children ages 2-7 will be introduced to ballet, tap, jazz, hip-hop, acrobatics, and creative moment inside our widely popular Shimmer program. Watch as your child’s eye sparkle with excitement and joy! Listen while they giggle with glee!
This program expertly combines your child’s vivid imagination with a nurturing environment where they are free to learn, flourish, and grow more independent. We are currently enrolling for our summer and school year programs. Check out the schedule of classes here.
Learn more about our toddler dance, preschool dance, and early elementary age dance classes by clicking the link below.
Try a Class!
Click the button below to schedule a FREE trial class for your future dancer!
Shimmer and Shine!
This is such an important time in your child’s life! Their imaginations are growing as fast as their little bodies are! Our Shimmer program focuses on the whole child. Through repetition and exciting themed lessons, your child will benefit from our program in a variety of ways:
- They will grow more independent through our use of positive reinforcement and enriching activities.
- They will develop gross motor skills like balance, strength, and coordination through activities like walking on their tippy-toes, jumping through a hoop, and skipping in a circle.
- They will learn proper classroom behavior such as listening skills, how to wait in line, and how to follow directions.
- They will learn properties of rhythm and musicality through clapping and stomping to the beat, the use of rhythm sticks, and exploring speed and time changes in different music selections.
Sometimes it can be a little scary for our youngest dancers to leave mom or dad and walk into a dance studio alone. Every child is ready in their own time. This is why we offer a free trial class to our youngest dancers. Join us for a glimpse into our Shimmer program!
What Happens in a Typical Class?
- Each class begins by warming up our muscles and stretching in our connection circle with friends.
- We practice our favorite dance moves (and review their fancy French names) like relevé, plié, and jeté.
- During ballet, we travel to magical lands and make-believe we are beautiful flowers, fairies, birds, bees, and butterflies.
- Each class includes circle time where we connect with friends and watch me shine time where we dance one at a time.
- We practice our recital routine that we can’t WAIT to perform for you in June on the BIG stage!
- Each class ends with your child getting a stamp or sticker to reward and celebrate her progress and success!
18012 Mateny Road
Germantown, MD 20874
NEW Studio Coming Soon...
4 Kent Gardens Circle
Gaithersburg, MD 20878